Monday, February 1, 2010

Tone

Recently, I received a letter from the University of Washington-Tacoma. After careful and purposeful planning on my part-UW Tacoma offered me admission. The letter was very formal, addressing me in such a manner to match their intent; it had a clear purpose, a definitive layout, while providing an inviting and supporting tone. All of these elements combined provide four things: one, it provides the answer to a what(what is this letter about?) two, a why(why am I getting this letter?) three, a directive(how should I respond?) and fourth, a restatement (again this is the purpose of this letter)
As I received this letter I perceived this as an informative, definitive,supporting piece of work with an intended purpose. I felt from the letter's tone that I was wanted in that particular university-like I almost already belonged. This has an intended affect in which students are actually admitted to universities and colleges respectively. By analyzing this letter, I am better informed of how tone affects the initial and ending response of any written work from a writer to a reader.

1 comment:

  1. The letter of acceptance you recieved had an over all positive tone and made you feel like you already belonged with this university. On that note would the university still be able to keep a positive tone if it was a letter of rejection? Maybe tone has nothing to do with the outcome of the attitude of the individual and rather it is the information the writing provides that shapes the attitude outcome.

    ReplyDelete